Chronicle


historical account of events arranged in order of time, usually without analysis or interpretation. (Merriam-Webster)


The COVID-19 epidemic is one for the records. If you keep a journal, you will want to take careful note. Because one day, historians will want firsthand accounts. And here we are, cooped up at home, so why not?

Now, Oscar Wilde apparently said that it is "The function of an artist is to invent, not to chronicle." Fair enough.

But what if he was wrong?

And E.M. Forester said that "life is easy to chronicle but bewildering to practice."

Yet when in recent history has life felt more bewildering? 

In all seriousness, this is a situation unlike any other in my lifetime. So pick up a pen, grab a laptop, it doesn't matter whether you write or type or tweet—but document what this experience is like. And—be a rebel, add in that analysis and/or interpretation.

Some day people will want to know.

If you were to write down 10 things about your current life, and how it has changed in light of the pandemic, what would they be? Are any of them positive? Please share with us!

"Hardship often prepares an ordinary person for an extraordinary destiny." 
-C.S. Lewis

(Image by mtlady84 from Pixabay)

Comments

  1. I was born in 1946 and nothing like this ever happened in my lifetime either! I meant to keep a journal when it started, but I haven't. I guess I could cut and paste or copy things I have said online. I did keep a journal during the Detroit Riot in 1967 and I'm glad I did.

    https://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! Yes, I imagine the world has not been through anything like this since around 1918.

      Delete
  2. I came across a similar idea of keeping children occupied with journalling so that later on they have a record of what it was like. Loved the graphics in your post - beautiful! All the best for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

N is for Name

F is for Fear

Zest